Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Rishakesh, India

We had big plans to go on all sorts of adventures while in Rishakesh.  We were going to go white water rafting down the Ganges, take some yoga classes, and  go trekking through the Himalayas.  On our first evening, we familiarized ourselves with town and booked a six hour white water rafting trip for 950 rupees (about $20) leaving in the morning.   This bargain price got you a guide, a boat, a paddle, and lifejacket; there are no wet/dry suits, no mention of a throw bag with a safety line or even if this company has insurance or not.  Whatever, we’re in India either it is going to be awesome or we’re going to die. 
The hotel we are staying in had a huge room with a little kitchenette and a bathroom with a real bath tub.  What it didn’t have was plate glass windows, just shutters covering the windows.  After talking to some people, we find out it’s the coldest winter that anyone can remember.  So once again, we end up sleeping in our sleeping bags and hats. 
Well we never got a chance to see if we’d make it down the river.  I came down with another really nasty case traveler’s bug.  I’m blaming it on the mutter paneer (paneer with pea curry) I ate for dinner  and I vow never to eat the stuff again!  After spending most of the night, unzipping my sleeping bag, climbing out from under the blankets, and freezing in the bathroom while I waited for the last wave of unpleasantness to subside, there was no way I was getting into a river boat.  I spent the next day, repeating the process of unzipping the sleeping bag and scampering to bathroom.  The hotel had satellite TV though and through my misery I was able to watch the season one marathon of Dexter.  Jeff spent half of the day making sure I was okay and the other half at the internet café surfing the internet and chatting on Facebook. 
January is the coldest month in India, which means we’re in northern India at the wrong time of year to do any trekking through the Himalayas.  Rishakesh is beautiful area that appears to have some amazing hikes through it.  Jeff and I would both like to come back during trekking season and explore this area.  As our luck would have it, my high school friend Mindy will be moving to Delhi this year.  Her husband has a job in the city for three years.  So Mindy, it is in writing, we’ll be coming to visit while you’re here. 
The next day, even though I’m feeling much better, we decide not to take any yoga classes.  There are some poses I don’t think it would have been a good idea for me to get into, wind relieving pose to being one of themn.  We did take a little 3 km walk with a little climb up to a little waterfall.  Jeff got an  ayurvedic massage (traditional Indian massage) for 500 rupees ($10) for an hour and I got a mehendi henna tattoo.
Next we’re heading farther north to Amritsar.  I have little hope it is going to get warmer in our lives anytime soon!
View for the Ganges from Rishakesh

My henna tattoo

Monkeys on the bridge

The watrfall we hiked up too

A cow in front of a shrine... It doesn't get holier than that!

0 comments:

Post a Comment