Wednesday, October 13, 2010

Dirty 30 birthday in Heidelburg

Last Saturday was my 30th birthday.  I wasn’t sure if I was going to make it there for awhile…. Popsie had shared his head cold with my mom and I and it was a bad one!!  My ears wouldn’t ‘pop’ and I could hear my voice echoing in my head plus copious amount of snot!  But I made it, barely! 
We celebrated with a nice dinner in Heidelburg.  The Germans make this wonderful potato noodle called spatzle that I have fallen in love with.  You can put in with cheese, fry them up with onions, or like I had for my birthday dinner, pour gravy over them.  Yum!! 
The next day we wandered the marktplatz with its wonderful cobblestone streets.  There was a little debate among Jeff, my mom, and I about exactly how much time was too much time spent window shopping.  To Jeff any time shopping is too much time, where my mom and I could spend hours.  We have all agreed to comprise in the future (which basically means we’ll plop Jeff down at a table with internet and a beer or ice cream while the ladies shop). 
We wandered around the Heidelburg castle on top of the hill and enjoyed some beautiful views of old town.  In the castle, there was the German Pharmacy museum.  Jeff fully embraced his profession’s history and said it was epic! 
Jeff getting ready to give us tour through the Pharmacy museum

Trying to figure out how to make pills and not just count them

What does an alligator have to do with being a pharmacist?

Your jacket Mr. Smartie Pants Pharmacist

Brass monkey statue downtown Heidelburg.  The saying goes if
you touch his fiinger, you will return to Heidelburg, if you touch the
mirror he is holding, you'll be blessed with wealth, and if you touch
the mice at feet you'll be blessed with fertility.  I don't know what
it means if you stick your head in his head.

Wandering the martkplatz

View from the castle overlooking old town Heidelburg

0 comments:

Post a Comment